Nancy Elizabeth Gordon
Born in Detroit, MIchigan, November 6, 1954
- Tax Associate,Touche Ross & Co. (1979-80)
- Office Manager, Detroit Headquarters John Anderson for President (1980)
- Intern, NC Prisoner Legal Services, Inc. (1981)
- Intern, Blanchard, Tucker, Twiggs, Denson & Earls (1982)
- Intern, Powe, Porter & Alphin (1982)
- Law Offices of Nancy E. Gordon, P.C. (1983-2006)
- Elected District Court Judge, first term 2006, second term 2010
Before becoming self-employed, Judge Gordon was a general law practitioner, representing all kinds of people: indigent persons in criminal and traffic cases, parents in abuse & neglect matters, and injured persons seeking compensation. After 1990, Judge Gordon limited her practice exclusively to domestic relations and family law cases. A trained mediator and certified matrimonial arbitrator, for many years, Judge Gordon heard arbitrations of general civil legal matters in the Fourteenth Judicial District Court-annexed arbitration program and arbitrated marital disputes.
J.D. Degree, 1979
Case Western Reserve University School of Law
B.A. Degree, 1976
University of Michigan
Ann Arbor, MI
- Licensed to practice law: Michigan 1979, North Carolina 1982.
- Durham County Bar Association/14th Judicial District Bar Association, President, 1991.
- NC Board Certified Family Law Specialist, 1991-present.
- "AV" peer-rated by Martindale Hubbell
- American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, Fellow 1996-present; President, NC Chapter, 2003-05.
- Certified Matrimonial Arbitrator, 1999.
- NC Bar Association, Board of Governors, Vice President 2009-10.
- NC District Court Judges Board of Governors, Member 2009-present.
- Additional Professional Associations: Durham County Bar Association/14th Judicial District Bar, North Carolina Association of Women Attorneys, North Carolina Bar Association, American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers.
- "View from the Bench" GP, Small Firm & Solo Practice Section Newsletter, NC Bar Association
- Judge, Duke Law School Street Law Mock Trial Competition (Lowes Grove & Neal Middle Schools)
- "4All-The Link Between Pet Abuse & Domestic Violence" The Family Forum, North Carolina Bar Assoc.
- "Basic Income Tax & Family Law", UNC School of Government/ Judicial College
- "The Role of Judge in Drug Treatment Court", Administrave Office of Court DTC Training
- Judge, Duke Law School Street Law Mock Trial Competition(Lowes Grove Middle School)
- Judge, Duke Law School Street Law Mock Trial Competition (Lowes Grove Middle School)
- “What Judges Want: ADR” The Family Advocate, American Bar Association
- Judea Reform Congregation, former member Board of Trustees
- Durham County Animal Protection Society
- Durham Coalition for Battered Women
- Women in Action for the Prevention of Violence and its Causes, Inc., Board of Trustees
- Religious Coalition for a Non-Violent Durham
- Rotary International (Downtown Durham Chapter)
- The Art of Giving, a Women's Giving Group